January 16, 2015

Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men...

I was telling you I had big plans for my house this year and the organization bug has bitten me.  I'm not sure if it's the time of year...January and resolutions and clean slates or if it is the magazines, the blogs and Pinterest that are subliminally pushing me in this direction but I feel the need to clean and organize.

I decided the kitchen is getting it first.  While it needs a good cleaning, what it really needs is everything taken out of cupboards and drawers and reorganized.  Shelf paper needs to measured and cut.  Paint touch ups need to happen.  Everything needs to sparkle and shine.

And I started....out with old and in with the new.  I was making a lamb tagine this week (I will share the recipe when I get a minute to post it on my food blog) and wanted to make sure my spices were fresh and pungent.  So I started throwing out old spices and went to the bulk food store to replace them.  I happen to be there when they were giving out a $5 gift card with minimum purchase.  Serendipity!

Daffodil from Home Depot to add a little spring to the house.

Then yesterday I dropped into Home Depot to buy furnace filters and wandered into the flooring department.  Oh my, with three specials on, I couldn't resist and decided that I needed to pick out carpet for the bedrooms and hall upstairs. Now that my Mom has moved, I'll be fixing up the master and coming upstairs to live.

I was idly thinking about replacing the carpet anyways.  It was two shades of green and had some stains that wouldn't come out.  It was also here when I moved in fourteen years ago so I have no idea how old it is.  If I had to guess, I'd say 25 or 30 years.  It's time and then I got Luke and he proceeded to piddle all over it (my fault...not his).

My red amaryllis is going to bloom again.  The tablecloth is one of my auction finds.  Very cheap and a perfect fit!

So the kitchen has to wait and I have to shovel out the master which has become a repository for craft supplies and auction purchases.  Then I need to move onto the guest room - closet and dresser.  The next few days will be busy.  But it will be great to have new carpet and get those two rooms all finished.

Julie

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ambitious! I think about it but seldom get much done. LOL

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Judy...I'm the same way unless there is a deadline! In this case, the carpet guy coming to measure. Xo J

      Delete
  3. I love the photo of the plants in front of the window...the colors in the curtains and the vintage tablecloth are so pretty. I know what you mean about old carpet - we have one room left to do, and that's our master bedroom. The carpet is the original of the house - about 26 or 27 years old! All the other rooms we've replaced with hardwood floors, which I love. But we can only afford to do one room at a time. The entire bedroom needs a complete overhaul anyway - paint, furniture, curtains, lamps, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melanie - thanks - I always try to make that table in my dining room window, an oasis of spring. Some days you just need bright colours and flowers to lift your mood. Yes - it costs a lot to keep things up in a house.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you and getting to know you.