May 18, 2013

Lilacs


After visiting the garden centres today, my sister, Connie and I stopped along the river and cut some lilac stems.  The buds aren't fully open yet but the scent is incredible!

I have two shades of purple lilacs in my garden.


I love to cut a big bouquet when they are full and blowsy and the scent hangs on the air.


The deeper purple were here when I arrived but I've had to prune them back severely.


I'm joining Claudia's favourite things party today over at Mockingbird Hill Cottage.


Another beautiful gardening day here in southern Ontario.  Hope tomorrow is the same!


I planted these paler ones to provide a little privacy from the neighbours...

Julie

10 comments:

  1. What beautiful lilacs you have. I wish Icould find some along the road to pick! LOL

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    You said it, loud and clear: 'ONE OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS, THE SCENT OF LILACS IN THE SPRING!'. I managed to brow just ONE, single bouquet in my two little bushes; this is a miracle for Mediterranean weather conditions! Yay!

    Thanks for the big, bright and beautiful blooms of Ontario!!

    Poppy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree-- I love lilacs too! Visiting from MHC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lilacs certainly are 'scent'sational right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Julie, so beautiful, wish I had a vase of them, the smell so heavenly, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my lilacs and I seem to miss their bloom every spring! Such a glorious scent. Great photos, Julie.

    Thanks so much for joining in this week.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to have a lilac bush in my front yard. It smells so good. I don't bring blossoms into the house (I'm no "florist" at all, just enjoy the flowers outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of our neighbors have lilacs, and when the scent comes wafting on the breeze...it's stunning.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lilacs are so lovely!

    Happy Springtime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hesitant to cut big bouquets of flowers, but today fierce rains and winds split a lilac tree and so I now have 3 huge bouquets. I need to place them in areas where the cats won't play with them now.... (near Guelph Ontario)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you and getting to know you.