April 09, 2013

Distressed

Well I am still motoring along on my bedroom.  The dressers have their 3 coats of paint...


And today, I started the very scary job of distressing and waxing the furniture.  I am a total amateur and this is only latex paint.  I haven't used my special Miss Mustard Seed paint and wax yet.  I thought it was better to try and get a handle on the techniques with cheap materials and furniture that I didn't really care about (and of course, it is hidden in my bedroom - not out on display for all to see).


I cannot believe how nervous I felt about it.  I read everything I could find on the internet.  "Just distress the areas that would show natural wear over time".  Oh my, okay, I can do that.  I started sanded and I stopped and I started again...


I didn't want to do too much but I may have "under did it".  Honestly, in person and up close, it looks much more distressed than it does in pictures.  But I'm happy with it.  I may try a bit more when I do the table I'm planning...


So anyways, here is my little bedside table.  What do you think?


I did a little vignette with some flowers that are a little past their prime...


I was going to buy new hardware but I think I like these handles better now that it has been painted.


Thought I'd stop for lunch and take a few pictures before I start the large dresser.


I'm joining Brenda at Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday.  Have a good one!

Julie

13 comments:

  1. Good progress, I like the handles you have.
    I still haven't been up to Chickadelic yet ... maybe next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the distressed look, great job.....Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did an awesome job!! It is kinda scary to start sanding after you've painted so carefully. It looks great!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great! The distressed areas look natural (except my desk has puppy-chewed marks on the leg, but I wouldn't miss them!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job, and I like the handles! I have never distressed a piece of furniture. I rarely even paint. To distress a piece would send me into panic zone.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding! I like the old handles too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got 'er nailed girl! I like your bedside table very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first attempt at distressing looks beautiful! Just enough, not too much. Your room is looking lovely and big and airy. I like the curtains.

    I left a note on your post about the horseshoe hearts, but I thought you might see it here. I'd like to buy one for my daughter and her fiance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi barbandemily...I replied to your e-mail but it mustn't have gone through. If you have Facebook, Josh has a page at Josh Mclaren Blacksmith so you can contact him directly. Let me know if you're not on FB and I'll get his e-mail for you. I know he still has hearts available. J

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I contacted him through facebook. I live in Kitchener - isn't this weather the pits! Just around the corner from us, two police cars were blocking the street this AM - big tree limb down and the power line with it.

      Delete
  9. I think you did a great Julie.
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you and getting to know you.